Monday, October 26, 2015

Green, J. (n.d.). The Fault in our Stars.
What is my favorite part of this book (and why I ultimately recommend it to everyone)?

So my answer to this first hit me when actually Augustus, the male love interest of the main character (who is 17) casually makes a reference to Waiting For Godot in passing conversational. The main character is incredibly well made and well written (so are the majority of youths in this novel--a stark contrast to the adults...but that's for another time, let's focus on Hazel). Hazel has ideas that are bigger than her and she actively thinks about them. Hazel has premature wisdom.  Her mind rarely succumbs to futility.  She ponders the metaphysical, as well as why scrambled eggs have been relegated to breakfast.  Frequently, her monologue includes hyperaware things that we should all stop and consider, like:    
 -"Funerals, I had decided, are for the living."    
 - "suffice it to say that the existence of broccoli does not in any way affect the taste of chocolate" (in response to          the sentiment Without pain, how could we know joy?)    
 - "I was thinking about the word handle and all the unholdable things that get handled."
Funny enough, the first connection I made from this is the dialogue and back and forth that wakes part on Gilmore Girls, the television show. I was turned off by how unrealistically quick, witty, and well educated this supposedly average high school girl was. Perhaps, I only allow it within text. Hmm

Well. I'm almost done and ready to cry--i've been preparing this whole book.
This is an amazingly well told tale of many relatable human emotions and feelings.


1 comment:

  1. Yes, this is a smart book. It is smartly written. Greene writes about smart teens. For smart teens. I'm a fan. Because he makes smart cool--

    ReplyDelete