Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Green, J. (n.d.). The Fault in our Stars.
If you were a teacher, would you want to share this work with your students?

                                          Why or why not?

     Absolutely! In fact, I've already convinced two of my intern-students to read it, and have been having a conversation with two other ones about John Greene's body of work (They have read
Paper Towns, I haven't yet). I'm always worried that I get too excited about a certain book or author, then end up recommending it to the wrong person, or recommend it to a struggling reader--which in turn on bothers them and isolates them more from the reading world. This is yet another reason why it's so important to know your students. While I think that this is definitely a work to share with students--it's made for them--I would just make sure, perhaps with my teacher overriding powers (if a book pass didn't work) that they right students get the right text. And while I think that nearly every type of person can get something from, and learn to appreciate this book, with adolescents, it may not be the right book at the right time. With young readers and struggling readers, you only have so many shots in their (reading) zone of proximal development to nourish the seeds of reading.

     I would definitely not teach this text as a stand-alone text; it would serve most certainly as a companion-text. I'm teaching R&J later in Internship B, so hopefully I can get a Book club set up and throw this one in there for the smarties and book-worms. 

2 comments:

  1. Oh Julian, I think just the fact that your students are coming to know you as a reader and that you recommend any book to them is so powerful--I think back and am not sure I ever heard one of my English teachers ever recommend a book other than what we were reading in class at the time. Empowering students with choice is key--that lessens our responsibility and load a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too think it's great that you are sharing book suggestions with your students. One of my most memorable English classes was due to my teacher suggesting some books for me to read and being available to talk to me about them afterward. It really changed my perspective about English classes.

    ReplyDelete